Monday, September 12, 2011

Socrates, Cleopatra, Mrs. Dalloway, and Stabenau Go Into a Bar


                                                                                                        Jim Stabenau

Stabenau:  Here we are in the Grecian Urn Taverna on the Elysian slopes. Let us seek beauty and truth in our discourse today. When Keats wrote the "Ode on a Grecian Urn" he drew on deep memories, not tracts of certainty. This provides us imagery where Truth and Beauty may be found. He believes the urn to be a friend to man with much to tell us. Keats summarizes the drawing on the urn in poetic rhetoric: “Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty; that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know.”

Socrates: I’ve seen the urn but had not read the poem until Dr. Stabenau handed it to me. Before I dazzle you with my famous “Socratic method,” allow me to say that whereas the urn shows images as if each were in its own space and time, the poet clearly takes the artist’s purpose to be to convey a single concept: the idea of Beauty as Truth. Keats adds Truth as Beauty. Poetic truth conveys the beauty of language. Truth and beauty are expressions of the two halves of our consciousness. One half expresses our thoughts through rhetoric and the other through imagination. Together they form the unity of truth and beauty. Thus we have an eternal dialectic between Beauty and Truth. Cleopatra, Clarissa, do you see this as true for you?

Cleopatra:      Oh great thinker, I will speak first because I am young and beautiful. When majestic Caesar came to my kingdom I presented him youth and physical beauty. I felt no need for truth because I am able to lie well and copiously. This did not impress the old man. But he saw my potential and tutored me in seeking truth. He said that I should value truth in others more than I value beauty in myself. Then I would become truly a queen. Upon his return to Rome he would ask Mark Antony — strong, with muscular round arms — to come to Egypt and be my lover. So I believe that if you have beauty and guile you don't need the truth.

Stabenau (to himself):  Perhaps her left and right brain were trying to come together but didn’t make it.

Mrs. Dalloway (Clarissa):     I too have been young. Preparing for my recent party I had cause to ruminate upon my romantic past, no pun intended. Get it? Romantic? I did not have your beauty, Cleopatra, but I did have class. I knew passion with Peter and with Sally. But I passed over them to marry Richard, solid and steady, a choice that followed reason. Alas, that makes me simply Mrs. Dalloway. Virginia Woolf summed this up on the last page of my story. “What does brain matter,” said Lady Rossiter, getting up, “compared with the heart.”   I watch the old woman across the street prepare for bed and wonder if when I face death I will ponder whether I have given away the truth and the beauty that could have been mine with Peter or Sally.

Stabenau:       Well said, my friends. We struggle in a quest for beauty to have a meaningful life. Such a life should be based upon truth with oneself and with others.

Socrates:     Bartender, one more round of drinks, but hold the hemlock.

No comments:

Post a Comment