November 1-2, 2014
Once again, the Great Books Poetry Weekend will be held at Vallombrosa Center in Menlo Park --- a beautiful, peaceful, enclosed ten acre site shaded by trees from all over the world. Every room has a private bathroom; single occupancy rooms are also available; there are no dormitory-style rooms.
As usual, we will have our Saturday evening pre-dinner wine and cheese party and an after dinner party with interactive entertainment. There will be one discussion room that is accessible without stairs.
The price for the whole package will be the same as it was last year: $175.00 based on a double-occupancy room with two twin-size beds and its own bathroom. Single occupancy rooms are also available for $189.00 --- i.e., your own twin bed and your own private bathroom. Vallombrosa does not give as much of a price break for commuters as we did at Westminster, regrettably, those not staying over-night will have to pay $154.00 per person.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS OCTOBER 13, 2014
SATURDAY MORNING DISCUSSIONS: OTHER TIMES, OTHER PLACES:
- September; the First Day of School by Howard Nemerov
- Anti-Romantic by Marie Ponsot
- A Village Life by Louise Gluck
- The Return by Philip Levine
- The Sun Rising by John Donne
SATURDAY AFTERNOON DISCUSSIONS: MIXED METAPHORS:
- Music is in the Piano Only When it is Played by Jack Gilbert
- Directions by Billy Collins
- A Color of Sky by Tony Hoagland
- Bedtime Story by Charles Wright
- A 10th Anniversary Photograph, 1932 by Miller Williams
SUNDAY MORNING DISCUSSIONS: POT POURRI:
- The Dream by Karl Shapiro
- My Mammogram by J. D. McClatchy
- We Know What Art Is by Adam Zagajewski
- The Rothko Room by Gillian Clarke
- Kindness by Naomi Shuhab Nye
FOR A PRINTABLE REGISTRATION FORM WITH MORE DETAILS CLICK HERE.